We don’t know what’s sagging more—our spirits or our dog’s bored-looking jowls. It’d be easy for pups and people alike to sigh the rest of the winter away, so here’s a little pep talk, Sidewalk Dog style: before you know it we’ll be back to basking in all the best things life has to offer. We’re talkin’ patio parties, road trips, drive-ins, and more. Until then, dear SWDers, here are 30+ things you can do to thrive–not just survive–’til spring.
Doggo Enrichment Activities
1. Teach your old (or young) dog a new trick. Try going beyond the basics: how ’bout a hug?
2. Treat your pup to a new toy. Most pet shops allow four-legged visitors, so you can let them pick it out themselves. For smartypups, we’re eyeing dis Dog Casino.
3. When that new toy becomes old news, organize a toy swap. Gather up the gear that still has some chew-life in it and trade with a friend whose pup is in the same boat.
Active Winter Activities for Dogs
4. Sign up for a class. The next local agility star might be right under your roof–you’ll never know unless you try!
5. Bundle up and visit a dog park, or give skijoring a try together.
6. Play a game of fetch up and down your stairs. It’s the quickest way we know to burn energy indoors. Just make sure your pup (and carpet) are up to the task.
36. Settle into your favorite cozy spot with your pup and soak up the winter snuggle season, cuz it won’t last forever. We promise!
Final thought: be careful what you wish for. Remember spring poop patrol? We’re SO not ready for that.
What are your fave winter activities to do with doggo? Woof at us in the comments and tag @SidewalkDog in all your winter adventures.
Featured photo: @endeavorsofego
Sidewalk Dog’s mission is to help dog parents spend more time with their puppers by discovering and sharing activities they can do and places they can go—together! Sniff out our award-winning newsletter and pup parent giveaways on Instagram.
If you make a purchase via our affiliate links, Sidewalk Dog may earn a tiny affiliate commission. Supporting Sidewalk Dog supports the work we do for rescues and shelters.♥ All products were available and pricing accurate at the time of publication.
More reads you’ll ruv:
The internet’s most dog-friendly website. Sidewalk Dog is your go-to resource for all things dog. Trusted by more than 250,000 dog people around the world.