Valentine’s Day Safety Tips for Good Boys and Girls

Let’s be honest: your dog only has one thing on the brain—treats. But hey, could be worse (have you been on Tinder lately?). And while his heart may belong to you, his nose belongs to anything within snoot’s reach that smells tasty, so check out our Valentine’s Day safety tips and enjoy a night of safe pets.

Flower Power

Sweetly scented roses are a classic pick, but munching on them may cause gastro upset in dogs, and if a little pup gulps down a big bloom, a blockage could occur. More likely to be a problem? If your pup decides to play fetch, thinking a stem is a good sub for a stick. Ouch! Thorns can mangle mouths (and pierce paws). Lush lilies are another lovely option, but consuming parts from any variety can cause mild tummy troubles for dogs (and be aware that lilies are deadly to kitties, even in tiny amounts.)

Chocolate Talk

Although the darker the chocolate, the better (health-wise) for humans, the opposite holds true for dogs. Darker versions (including gourmet high-cacao treats, semi-sweet, and baker’s chocolate) have more theobromine, the component you DO NOT want your dogs to ingest. If they do? Expect mild vomiting and diarrhea for smaller amounts and the possibility of major problems like seizures and cardiac issues if they consume too much. But light’s not alright, either—even white chocolate can bring on pancreatitis due to high levels of sugar and fat.

TIP: Be extra vigilant with chocolate-covered goodies like raisins, macadamia nuts, and espresso beans as these are essentially poison-covered poison for pups.

Zilch Xylitol

Minty fresh for you, mighty bad for canines. This sugar substitute can be found in breath mints and gum (as well as some colorful candies). A small dog woofing down one little piece of gum? Big problem. Symptoms range from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), loss of coordination, and vomiting to collapse, seizure, and liver damage.

No Boozehounds

Whether you’re toasting with bubbly or a brew, keep these bevs far away from the furry four-legged friends in your life. All alcohol is off limits, and hops are particularly horrible for dogs. Imbibing can bring about weakness and staggering, dehydration, and vomiting and diarrhea. Large amounts can lead to a drop in blood sugar and/or pressure, seizure, collapse, and even coma. Even the ice from your cocktails can cause problems, so do not toss ‘em a cube. And if you overdo it on Valentine’s Day, put ibuprofen out of reach, too—it is regularly reported by vets as one of the top 10 toxins. 

Pretty Little Extras

Feel free to admire the colorful ribbons and bows festooning bouquets and boxes, but then toss them in the trash ASAP. Their bright and shiny nature makes them tempting playthings, but a cute tease-and-chase could quickly become a case for an emergency visit if your pooch decides they taste as good as they look. And beware of balloons. To our pals, they’re nothing more than balls, which sharp nails and teeth turn into easy pickins for covert snacks (that don’t always pass out the other side). Know what we’re sayin’? Keep an eye on them—and the ribbon “leashes” that can make them easy to capture.   

Truth is, our pals have a way of getting into things they shouldn’t. If you suspect your dog has ingested something on this list, get to your vet or nearest emergency care center, or call the Pet Poison Helpline immediately (open 24/7, a per-incident fee applies).

Any Valentine’s Day safety tips we missed? Woof at us in the comments and be sure to tag #SidewalkDog in those date night pics!

Featured photo: Carly Mackler

Sidewalk Dog’s mission is to help dog parents spend more time with their puppers by discovering and sharing activities they can do and places they can go—together! Sniff out our award-winning newsletter and Instagram, then enter our drool-worthy giveaways.

More reads you’ll ruv:

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.