Editor’s note: This post was written by Sidewalk Dog intern Amber Weise, who doubles as our pit bull mama-in-residence (you’ll meet her Blue below). Bully lovers rejoice, because you’re going to LOVE this list!
At Sidewalk Dog we have a special place in our heart for the blocky-headed breeds, so we’re always on the lookout for places that not only accept pit bulls, but welcome them with open arms — businesses that reject the negative stigma sometimes felt by bully-breed owners. While the vast majority of businesses in our directory allow pit bulls, we wanted to give a shout-out to those that are just as obsessed with ’em as we are. Here are 12 spots where you can feel particularly great about letting your pittie pride show:
1. The Freehouse. Need we say more? Dogs of all shapes and sizes are welcome on their large, stylish North Loop patio. (The Freehouse is one of the stops on the Sidewalk Dog Brewery Pass. Did that get your tail waggin’? Buy one here before they’re gone!)
2. The Outlaw Grill-Food Truck proudly sports a My Pit Bull is Family sticker. Their love for pit bulls has us waggin’ our tails and their Outlaw Burritos have us drooling! Don’t tell the other breeds, but they call these pups the “SuperDogs” (they’re right, but we might be biased).
3. Word on the street is that Sweeny’s Saloon in St Paul is supremely pittie-friendly. With good beer, great burgers, and a bully-loving staff, how could you go wrong?
4 & 5. In the Loop Coffee Co. is a North Loop hangout where dogs are welcome inside and out. The owners are obsessed with all types of dogs. Woofing of coffee, the patio of Spyhouse Northeast is one of Blue’s fave spots; the baristas rave about her big head and beautiful eyes every time. She gets treats while her human gets a latte — win/win.
6. Dog Day Getaway is a HUGE doggy daycare and boarding facility in Apple Valley. They love their bully-breed guests and treat them like family. Another pawesome thing about this place? The webcams! You can check up on your pup as they play, nap, and meet other dogs.
7. Mission Animal Hospital in Eden Prairie is dedicated to meeting the need for affordable pet care in the Twin Cities area. This nonprofit vet cares for all breeds, and pit bulls are the most popular breed seen there.
8. The Vintage Loft in Wayzata sells unique re-loved and up-cycled furniture pieces, antiques, and home decor fit for all budgets. A very sweet neighborhood pit bull, Zipper, visits the shop every weekend to get her treats! Zipper, we are onto your tricks.
9. Uptown’s gorgeous Flux apartments welcome every breed, requiring all resident doggos to earn their Canine Good Citizen bone-a-fides before moving in. [All other Saturday Properties — like Lime and Blue — offer the same breed-friendly policies.]
10. The first thing you see when you reach Prohibition Barbers‘ website is the beautiful pit bull, Bertha Mae, who belongs to the shop owner (along with her brother from another mother, Sir Gandalf). You’re encouraged to keep your four-legged pup at home when you get your haircut here, but their love for pitties is too real not to mention. They offer standard barber cuts and discounts for veterans, police, firefighters, EMS individuals, and pit bull owners (Ok, so that last one isn’t true — but a girl can dream).
11. Urban Tails Pet Supply is a small family business in Uptown. They do everything, from premium pet foods to doggy toys and even training. The owners have two pit bull mixes and love supporting bully breeds.
12. Posh Pooch Pet Salon and Boutique in Woodbury offers a variety of services. Here, your pooch is treated like royalty, including those blocky-headed pit bulls. Who says pampering is only for the Pomeranians — furr-get about it!
Don’t have a bully to call your own, but want in on all this love? We can’t blame ya. A Rotta Love Plus and Save-A-Bull are two bully-breed rescues with plenty of pitties to choose from, and all-breed shelters and rescues often have bullies who would love to cuddle up next to you, too. Trust us: Adopting a bully will be the best decision you make.
When you visit one of these establishments, don’t forget to tell ’em Sidewalk Dog sent you. Know of any other bully-lovin’ places in the area? Speak!
[Related: Yes, Your Insurance Company Can Discriminate Against Your Dog]
Mypitbullisfamily.org is a Minneapolis business that is overly obsessed and working to end discrimination in rentals and insurance here in Minneapolis and across the country!
We <3 you guys!