Photo: Matt ODell via Unsplash
This guide is brought to you by the dog lovers at Roost Real Estate (email or call 612.255.2900), located in downtown Minneapolis. The condo experts at this full-service real estate powerhouse will find a residence that both you and Rover will adore. Chances are the condo or loft you’re looking for may not even be on the market today. Through their deep network within this market, Roost will uncover every stone and dig up all opportunities for you.
Home is where your heart is. And for you, dear Sidewalk Dog readers, it’s where your dog is. One of the biggest challenges pet owners face is how to find a dog-friendly condo. Many would-be condo dwellers quickly discover that it’s tough not only to find which buildings are pet-friendly, but also to determine specific pet policies, which can vary greatly from place to place.
The folks at Roost know a thing or two about aiding dog lovers in their search for the perfect home. Not only do they have intimate knowledge of condo buildings in Minneapolis and St Paul, but they’ve personally lived in and raised their own dogs in a downtown condo building.
So how to find a dog-friendly condo? Roost recommends keeping the following in mind when you begin your search:
- Inquire about any possible pet fees and double check the building’s specific pet policies before making an offer. Even buildings that allow dogs can be strict about specifics like breed, size, and number of pets. Inquire about any possible pet fees, too.
- Find out whether the building offers any special pet amenities, like dog walking (or cuddling!) services, treat jars in the lobby, or outdoor fenced play areas.
- Take a peek at the nearby pet-friendly amenities, like daycares, breweries, shops, and off-leash parks. Because even after you’ve found the perfect spot for you and Spot, you’ll want to know how to maximize your dog-loving lifestyle when you walk out the door of your new digs.
- If possible, ask to be connected with other dog-owning residents of the building you have in mind. Finding out what their pooch does — or doesn’t — love about the property is a clever, clear way to envision your life there.
- Once you’re ready to move in, ask whether you’re required to license your dog with the city and/or register your dog with the powers that be at the condo. Some buildings require you a photo of your pupper to be put on file — not only for safety reasons, but to get to know your dog. The front desk can’t wait to greet her by name. ♥
While we’re still a long way from dogs, cats, and lizards being welcomed as denizens in every loft and garden-level abode, the Twin Cities are becoming a place where every fluffball can find a place to lay their dog bed if their person has the right resources on paw.
Is your condo building a happy home for your furry friend? Tell us everything in the comments!
Having a realtor who specializes in the Minneapolis-St Paul condo market and pup-friendly buildings is kibble in the bowl, so for dog’s sake, get in touch with Roost today (email or call 612.255.2900).