Photo: KME Photography
Ask dog-loving Twin Citizens to name a local patio famous for its pup-friendly ways and you’ll likely hear The Freehouse come up time and time again. This gem is just one of tons of NoLo patios that welcome four-legged friends to hang out while you dine and drink, but its supremely dog-friendly (and people-friendly) features set it apart from the crowd.
Let’s start with the food. (Oh my dog, the food!) We’re talkin’ pork belly benny and avocado toast on brew bread for breakfast, burgers galore, and so much more. And if you’re looking for a cool, quality craft beer, The Freehouse doesn’t just sell it – they make it. Each pint is brewed and poured with care, and served alongside some of the other best, local brews Minneapolis has to offer. (Nab a FREE beer there with our almost-sold-out Brewery Pass.)
Their patio is hip and spacious — it seats 80 (!). Water bowls are on paw — just ask your server. It’s sunny and warm in the spring, and trees provide partial shade in the summer.
Don’t just take our woof for it. Here’s what our patio reviewers had to say:
- “Some of the best food I’ve ever had…and pups are treated well!”
- “We had a great meal at the Freehouse with our Maltese, Casey. It was kind of like doggy central. The food dishes were unique and all four of us enjoyed our choices.”
- “The food was wonderful, as was the beer. Really great to our dog. Water, treats, and belly rubs. Would definitely recommend and will be back!”
So get ready to leash up your pupper and head to The Freehouse this summer (including for Sidewalk Dog’s two killer Yappy Hours there on June 6 and September 19), then leave a review in our directory. To prepare, check out our Good Dog’s Guide to Patio Etiquette and snag our super slick, exclusive patio leash.
THE QUICK SNIFF
- The Freehouse, 701 N Washington Ave, Minneapolis (map), 612.339.7011
- Open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Reservations accepted
- Street parking, valet parking, and free parking available in their lot
This North Loop pick was brought to you by Metro Dogs Daycare & Boarding, which strives to make life easier for busy urban dog owners. Current and former customers are encouraged to submit reviews via their Sidewalk Dog listing.