Photo: Liz Schuette’s late great Bogart gazes upon a Sssdude-Nutz masterpiece
Picture this: it’s a weekend morning. You’re wondering where the you can go for a quick, classic, and delicious treat: the humble donut. You know that there are seemingly dozens of attractive options in the Twin Cities, but only a handful of them have dog-friendly patios. We’ve done your homework for you, compiling a list of great donut-shop patios for pup-toting peeps in the metro area.
Before we jump into it, there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost: furry friends are not allowed inside of donut joints. (With one possible exception — more on that below.) Two of these options offer table service but for the rest, plan to bring a human friend along if you won’t want to leave your pup outside alone while you order.
Second, not all of these shops have water bowls in their outside seating areas, so BYOW as needed. Finally, head over to our shop to get your paws on one of our pup-approved patio leashes to give you greater peace of mind while you are enjoying your donut outside.
- Glam Doll Donuts, Northeast Minneapolis and Eat Street. Glam Doll serves up funky flavor combinations in a hip, loungy environment, adding plenty of passion and attitude to their already delicious donuts. Unique offerings include the Showgirl, a raised donut with maple icing and bacon, and the Outlaw, a cherry cheesecake filled donut. Regardless of whether or not your pup is glamorous, this stop on your donut journey will make both of you feel like it. Pup-friendly extra: both locations both have dog-friendly patios, and water is available by request. Note: Glam Doll has been rumored to allow dogs indoors. This is a gray area, legally speaking, so if you do bring your pup inside while you’re there, make sure she’s on her very best behavior.
- Hi-Lo Diner, Minneapolis. This east Lake Street favorite serves up what they call “Hi-Tops” all day long. They’ll be quick to remind you that these tasty treats are not technically donuts, but the tasty fried dough is certainly likely to make your tail wag with both sweet and savory applications. Their dog-friendly patio, which has table service, is open daily. Fur-iffic bonus: there are water bowls on the patio!
- Mel-O-Glaze Bakery, Minneapolis. Known locally for their mastery of glazed donut holes in the form of their “Legal Crack Balls,” Mel-O-Glaze pairs great eats with a laid-back and dog-friendly environment. Local favorites have been known to sell out quickly, so be sure leash up your pup and get there early in the day! Tail-wagging tip: They have dog-friendly outdoor seating that’s set up sporadically. Don’t see a table? Don’t fret! A Lake Nokomis park bench is just a short trot away.
- Bogart’s Doughnut Co., Minneapolis. This simple shop offers fresh takes on donuts made from brioche dough in addition to traditional cake doughnuts in a hip Uptown location. Bogart’s is particularly well-known for their owner-friendly Nutella-filled brioche donuts. Outdoor seating is available, but a bit limited, so scamper over there early! Puppy-pampering plus: this shop has treats and water bowls!
- Cupcake, Eagan. We know that this place, as the name implies, is best known for their cupcakes. But Cupcake also offers quality takes on classic donuts every day, and even has its own version of the fabled “cronut,” a croissant-donut hybrid. Floppy-eared feature: Cupcake is attached to The Mason Jar, and they share a cute, dog-friendly patio with table service.
- Sssdude-Nutz, Twin Cities area. It’s food truck season, and Dinkytown-based Sssdude-Nutz has decided to go mobile. If you’re the spontaneous type, you can follow the truck’s location on the Facebook page, find a nearby picnic spot, and then get right down to business eating inspired donuts with unique toppings like Fruity Pebbles and Oreo crumbles.
Wherever you and your four-legged companions find yourselves getting your donut fix, let us know by giving us a bark on social media and using #SidewalkDog. Let us know if we’ve missed any of your favorites — and happy donut-hunting!