Planning a getaway? You don’t have to leave your BFF behind. Photo: Jeremy Wong via Unsplash
The idea of traveling with a dog can cause stress for even the most avid pup-lover, but it doesn’t have to!
While you might not be ready to jump on a jet-plane, you can get your paws wet with a simple Minnesota road trip to any of these dog-friendly Airbnb rentals that are all just a short drive from the metro.
1. Want that “getaway” feel without being too far out of the city? Check out this dog-friendly lakeside oasis in Inver Grove Heights. It has an outdoor hot-tub as an added perk for humans. ($292/night).
2. Does your dog love a good romp in the snow? This log-cabin style home near Two Harbors would make a perfect winter retreat. With plenty of room inside and out, and at only about a hundred bones per night, you can invite along your favorite humans for a thrifty statecation. Check out our dog-friendly guide to Minnesota’s North Shore for suggestions along the way. ($105/night)
3. While most folks head north, there’s a lot to do and see in Southern Minnesota, especially for our furry travel companions. Consider a weekend in the quaint river town of Lanesboro. It’s perfect for seeing the fall colors, skijoring in the winter along the Root River Trail System, or biking, canoeing, or kayaking with your dog in the summer. This historic loft right downtown will give you a place to land after a busy day. ($190/night)
4. Does your dog look pretty amazing on a boat? Consider cruising him out to this island retreat on Boogenhagen Island on Pelican Lake in Orr. You’ll have the entire island and lake views to yourself. Long hike and a quick swim, anyone? ($175/night)
5. Got a pooch who loves to hike? Consider a weekend near downtown Ely in this cute little cottage that has easy access to the Trezona Trail — a four-mile trek that circles Miners Lake and is a perfect way for you and your four-legged travel companion to start each day of your trip.
6. If you’re looking for the ultimate fall road trip consider driving south from Minneapolis along the Mississippi River. You’ll pass through great river towns like Hastings, Lake City, Wabasha, and Winona. Time it right, and all the bluffs will be alive with fall color (view the Fall Color map). Enjoy a hike at Great River Bluffs State Park in Winona and then have a relaxing night at this dog-friendly retreat, complete with rooftop deck for some evening views! ($100/night)
Lastly, here are a few tips to help you score a glowing review from your host:
- Pay close attention to any pet-related rules specific to the rental, such as keeping Sophie off the sofa.
- Take extra care to make sure any doo-ties take place outdoors.
- If your doggo damages something, the golden rule applies — be honest and apologetic, and ask your host how you can remedy the situation.
Happy travels, friends!