Picking a daycare and boarding facility can be stressful: Will your dog be safe? Loved? And have fun, too? We’re here to help with a series highlighting the pup-lovingest daycares and boarding facilities in the Twin Cities and beyond.
Dog Day Getaway
Dog Day Getaway has been in business for over a decade, but they recently settled into a huge, knock-your-socks-off facility in the South Metro. And their brand-new expansion means they’re now offering even more of what their clients love: loads of services and amenities provided by passionate, pup-lovin’ peeps.
(Brag alert: They’re also award winning. Dog Day Getaway was named Best Dog Daycare in Minnesota by WCCO this year. Yip, yip, hooray!)
Give the doggies what they (and you) want
At Dog Day Getaway, the staff love dogs — period. As owners Carey Rice and Nicole Boe explain, DDG is designed to make sure each pup in their care is comfy and cared for as an individual, using innovative details big (like on-demand access to spacious indoor and outdoor romping areas) and small (think a nightly tuck-in service for boarders, complete with a kiss on the head).
Speaking of treating your dog like royalty, their add-on treats consist of stuffed Kongs and doggy ice cream. They also feature special holiday-specific meals for puppers, like a Labor Day cookout and Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners.
They just completed a knock-your-socks-off expansion — from 9,000 to 12,000 square feet — which means more bedrooms for their overnight guests and more play space for all of the dogs, including separate play areas for small dogs “that don’t wish to run in the pack with the big guys.” And they recently added dog-walking services to their long list of amenities.
Daycare and boarding is just the beginning
Another feature that sets DDG apart from the pack is their full-service bathing and self-wash facilities — so keep ’em in mind next time your pup gets into a stinky situation at the dog park (you do not need to be a daycare/boarding client to take advantage of this).
Love spending your bucks with a biz that supports the local nonprofit scene? You’ll rarely find one with as much rescue ruv as Dog Day Getaway. Not only do they welcome foster dogs to their facility, but they work closely with some rescues to help provide care and socialization for foster dogs — at no charge. What’s more, they have an event room and self-wash area that rescues can use free of charge for fundraisers and adoption days; regularly feature adoptable dogs on their website and Facebook page; and give back directly to rescues through their Rescue of the Month program and annual pet-food drive.
The event room is available for non-rescues to rent, too — and it’s a pretty sweet spot to host a doggy birthday party. It’s also grrr-eat for breed-specific meetups, doggy reunions, or even just friends just looking for a spot to gather with dogs out of the cold (or heat).
Woofing of socialization opportunities, Dog Day Getaway also hosts monthly indoor playgroups for small dogs, really tiny dogs, and puppies.
The Hooman Perspective
DDG’s rave reviews include this one from Maribeth G., whose pup Leinie has been using DDG as his home away from home for seven years. She writes, “It is hard to find the words to describe how happy we are to be a DDG customer. They treat our dog like we do. They know his moods, encourage his playfulness, give him attention and affection, let us know if he seems down, or sick, or just not himself. If you meet the staff at DDG, you too will feel this IS the best place to bring your dog.”
Alexander S., dog dad to an energetic Lab/Border Collie mix (editor’s note: perhaps a redundant description) says, “My dog spent a half day there with a full-service bath at the end. [That evening] I found her snoring…I’ve NEVER heard her snore! They wore her out.”
The Quick Sniff
- Contact info: Dog Day Getaway, 952-431-9663
- Location: 14607 Felton Court #101, Apple Valley, MN 55124 (map)
- Hours: M-F 6:30am-7:30pm; Sat 8am-7pm; Sun 9am-7pm
- Starting rate (daycare): $29 (full day); $18 (half day); $5/hr (1-3 hrs)
- Starting rate (boarding): $42/night; reduces in price based on length of stay
- Advanced daycare reservations required: Yes
- Breed restrictions: No
- Spay/neuter required: Yes
- Test day required for daycare: Yes
- Boarding available for pets other than dogs: No
- Amenities: Air conditioning, dog beds in kennels, dogs can bring toys and/or comfort objects from home, foster dogs accepted, half-day pricing, indoor and outdoor play areas, music played in kennels, online scheduling, outdoor area that dogs can access on-demand, separate play areas by temperament, soon to have separate play areas by size, webcams, webcam phone app
- Services: Play groups, full-service bathing, self washes
- Nonprofit ruv: Dog Day Getaway is a proud supporter of Across America Boxer Rescue, Corner of Kindness, Midwest Shiba Inu Rescue, Red Lake Rosie’s, Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue, and more.
Your dog will be wiggling and wagging when she hears you signed her up for this sweet southern spot. (Make sure to let ’em know Sidewalk Dog sent you.)
This spotlight was sponsored by the team at Dog Day Getaway, who love everything about taking care of dogs. Current and former customers are encouraged to submit reviews via their Sidewalk Dog directory listing. (Know or own a daycare or boarding biz we should feature? Doo tell!)