If you’re looking for new digs for your pup (oh, and you) to call home, you’re in the right place! Whether doggo’s after local neighborhood living or luxurious, upscale vibes, we’ve sniffed out the best tips for finding dog-friendly apartments in Chicago.
How to Find Dog-Friendly Apartments in Chicago
Luckily, Chicago is a super pet-friendly city, and many apartments are happy to roll out the welcome mat for your fuzzy roommates! Here are a few tips to assist you on your search:
- Know thy dog. In order to make sure everypawdy is able to live life to the fullest, make sure you take into account the needs and preferences of your pup. Not every dog is a patio dog, and some pups may need a little more space to call their own. Similarly, some pups are petrified of elevators and would certainly rather have a big backyard than have to potty at a crowded rooftop park every day! Choose your future apartment based on the factors that’ll keep your pal happy and healthy.
- Search early, search often. As soon as you have a moving date in mind, begin your quest! Securing great dog-friendly housing might take a few months (or more), so start lookin’ as soon as caninely possible.
- Have a behavior management plan (and share it). Landlords who are wary of pets are often concerned about potential damage to the unit. Is your pup crated when you’re away? Do you work from home? Planning on hiring a dog walker? Let any would-be landlords know what you’re doing to minimize any possible frustrations, and you might find your pup is welcome after all!
- Puppare to do a little convincing. Not everyone has the luxury of knowing what a fantastic being your pup is. Be ready to share references (from past landlords, vets, trainers, sitters, walkers, etc.). And if you have the means, it’s helpful to be able to offer to put down a refundable pet deposit, too.
- Rely on your neighbors. Neighborhoods make Chicago the special place it is. So if you’re looking for housing, ask around! Join your neighborhood Facebook groups and ask who has what. You’re more likely to find cool buildings with relaxed pet policies by going straight to the source. (Check out our Dog-Friendly Chicago Facebook Group, too!)
Lowkey Lifestyle: Dog-Friendly Apartments in Chicago Neighborhoods
Chi-doggos know there’s nothin’ like the old neighborhood. Privately owned 2-flats, owner-occupied units, and smaller home-like spaces (with yards!) might be a better bet for your pet. And paw-lenty of ‘em are dog-friendly! Here are some places to search for some of the best digs in your chosen community:
Local rental listing site Domu has loads of cool units. New to the area? Rad neighborhood guides will help you and pup select the best spot for you. And each unit’s map features proximity to coffee shops, plant shops, music venues, and more.
Chicago property management company Peak Properties comes highly recommended from several of our readers. Their site features a dedicated dog-friendly search option. Check out their listings for apartments located all over the North Side with some studios starting around $800. Policies vary from building to building.
PPM Apartments has over 3,700 units in Gold Coast, River North, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview. These humans know that dogs are what makes a house feel like home. A pet-friendly company, PPM has several locations with private dog parks, and they don’t require an extra deposit or pet fee at any of their buildings (!!!). And they have pet contests throughout the year for your pride and joy to win, too.
Hot Spot Rentals
All of the listings on Hot Spot Rentals accept cats, and over 90% accept dogs. Their site features properties from all over the North Side, as well as the Near South Side and Medical District. Some of their buildings are dog-friendly throughout, while others have dog-friendly floors or other restrictions. Most charge a small one-time pet fee or monthly pet rent. And depending on the building, you might find amenities like daycare, walking, and dog runs.
M & D Management
Highly regarded M&D Management features properties in desirable pup hubs East Village, Ukrainian Village, Eckhart Park, Humboldt Park, Bucktown, and Wicker. Utilize the dog-friendly filter to find a variety of units starting as low as $1100.
Luxury Living: High-Rise Dog-Friendly Apartments in Chicago
With a central downtown location that can’t be beat, Chestnut Tower may be the ideal dwelling for your pawsh pup. With a sundeck, club room, fitness center, on-site pet park, and more, she just may never leave!
Studios, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom apartments starting at $1870. Limit 2 indoor pets per unit. Non-refundable $500 fee per pet. Some breed restrictions apply.
K9 residents of West Loop’s K2 Apartments can live it up with their very own bark park and grooming station (oh, and GE charging hubs for their electric cars). Humans’ll enjoy cabana seating at the pool, terrace lounging by the firepit, and restorative relaxation in the steam room. You and doggo could probably get used to the 24-hour concierge, too!
Studios, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom apartments starting around $2077. Non-refundable fee of $500 for one pup or $650 for two, plus monthly pet rent of $25 per pup. Breed and weight restrictions apply.
Close to the Blue Line, the 606, and all that Logan and Bucktown have to offer, The Western proudly welcomes pups. People-friendly features like rooftop skyline views, two grilling stations for outdoor dining, and an indoor resident lounge, complement far-more-important pupper amenities like The Western’s dedicated dog run.
1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments starting at $2025 per month. $250 one-time fee per dog (max 2 pets) and $25 per month pet rent fee. Breed restrictions apply.
Sono East Apartments
These luxe Lincoln Park residences feature a 24-hour doorman, a hot tub and sundeck, designer kitchen features, rich Italian marble tile, and floor to [9-foot] ceiling windows. Most importantly, Sono East Apartments has an *indoor* dog run. Yes, puppers—you read that right!
1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments starting around $2880 per month. One-time fee of $500 per pet, 2 pups max. Some breed restrictions apply.
Streeterville’s Moment knows pup deserves to be pampered. Treat your pup with an onsite pet spa and 600-square-foot outdoor dog run as well as bark-taking panoramic views of the city and the lake. Take a break from pawrenting at the 45th floor pool and sundeck, in the yoga studio, or in the serenity garden.
Studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedroom apartments starting at $2185 per month. A one-time pet fee of $500, $25/month pet rent, and some breed restrictions apply, but there are no weight restrictions.
Where does your pal ruv to search for dog-friendly apartments in Chicago? Leave a woof to the wise in the comments or in our Dog-Friendly Chicago Facebook Group. Ready to buy instead? Check out our tips for buying your dog a house.
Featured photo: Crystal Huff
Sidewalk Dog’s mission is to help dog parents spend more time with their puppers by discovering and sharing activities they can do and places they can go—together! Sniff out our award-winning newsletter and Instagram, and join our Dog-Friendly Chicago Facebook Group.