Can dogs eat grapes?

Dogs and fruits have a curious connection. Some fruits are good for them like apples or bananas, while others can be really bad for their health. Take grapes, for example. People enjoy eating them or turning them into raisins, wine, or juice. 

Grapes are a big deal here in the US, almost as big as oranges in farming. So can dogs eat grapes? Should you give your dog grapes as treats?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

While dogs can safely enjoy some fruits we mentioned earlier, they shouldn’t eat grapes and raisins as they are potentially toxic. If your dog eats them, it can lead to acute kidney failure. Unfortunately, grape or raisin poisoning in dogs happens pretty often and veterinarians are used to it.

Raisins, for instance, might seem harmless, but they pose a more significant threat to dogs than grapes do. 

Experts point out that the dehydrated nature of raisins concentrates toxic compounds. So, even a few raisins consumed by a dog could expose them to a higher risk compared to eating just one grape.

It’s not only about raisins but also about avoiding currants. These tiny fruits often found in granola and trail mix can also be trouble for your dog.

The exact toxic dosage in grapes and raisins is not known because it’s not stable. Dogs’ tolerance levels can vary based on their size and how much of the toxin they have consumed. Some dogs might show no immediate symptoms after eating a few grapes or raisins and others might suffer severe consequences even from a small dose.

Knowing which dogs are more at risk remains a puzzle. This uncertainty emphasizes the importance of reaching out to a veterinarian immediately if you think your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

How Dangerous Are Grapes and Raisins for Dogs?

The link between dog health and these seemingly harmless fruits is not clear, but the potential dangers are undeniable. 

Back in 1999, veterinarians at the Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) started receiving concerning reports. Dogs, seemingly healthy, were experiencing acute renal failure (ARF) after munching on grapes or raisins. Subsequent reports reiterated this grape and raisin toxicity in dogs, raising alarms among pet owners and veterinarians alike.

Since the amount of grapes or raisins that can harm dogs is not clear, dog owners should be extra careful. As the effects can vary widely. Some dogs may display no symptoms after ingesting grapes, while others might suffer severe consequences.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes or Raisins

If you’ve got a dog, it’s smart to keep grapes and raisins away from them to keep their health and well-being safe and sound. But if you suspect your dog has somehow eaten grapes or raisins, contacting a veterinarian immediately should be the first thing you do. 

While the effects can range from mild gastrointestinal upset to life-threatening kidney failure, prompt veterinary care improves the chances of a relatively positive outcome.

You should always remember that in the world of veterinary care or health in general, prevention is often the best medicine. The toxic nature of grapes and raisins isn’t fully understood. Even seemingly healthy dogs can succumb to their effects, reminding veterinarians to advise against allowing dogs to consume these fruits.

So, can dogs eat grapes? NO! Keep your dogs safe by steering clear of these seemingly delicious and harmful fruits to avoid any possible health issues. Taking care of your dog’s health is worth the extra caution and you may even want to see what food/treats by searching “Best Dog Food for X Breed”

Understanding the Risk Factors

The risk factors associated with grape and raisin toxicity in dogs remain a subject of ongoing research. Despite numerous studies, the specific compound or mechanism responsible for their toxicity hasn’t been conclusively identified. This ambiguity adds to the complexity of addressing this danger to our dogs.

Veterinarians advise that the reactions to grape or raisin ingestion can vary widely among individual dogs. While some dogs might exhibit severe symptoms with even a small quantity, others may seemingly tolerate grapes without any immediate adverse effects.

Historical Perspectives on Grape Toxicity in Dogs

In a study that was done in 2005, where they looked at 132 cases, 43 of them fit the specific criteria they were studying. They had to turn down some cases because they didn’t have enough information about the dog’s history or health (41 dogs), or the dogs were exposed to grapes or raisins but didn’t show any signs of kidney problems (33). 

Some dogs showed signs after eating grapes or raisins but didn’t have kidney issues (14). In some cases, there might have been other things the dogs ate that could have affected the study results (15). They got complete medical records for 30 out of the 43 dogs, and they had some test results for 9 more dogs. For the last 4 dogs, they had to use a mix of info from a database and summaries from the vets who treated the dogs.

The study followed up on the outcomes of the 43 dogs they observed. About 53% of them managed to survive, while 12% unfortunately didn’t make it and passed away. Another 35% had to be euthanized. For those that didn’t survive, the time from eating grapes or raisins to death or euthanasia was around 6 days, but it varied from 1 to 11 days.

The good news is that all 23 dogs that made it through had their clinical signs resolved, which is a relief. Among these survivors, 15 dogs showed a return to normal levels of BUN and serum creatinine concentrations. Eight dogs remained with high levels of these substances even after a while.

In the dogs that survived, most of them saw their BUN levels returning to normal within about 15.5 days. Yet, in a small group of four dogs, their BUN levels stayed high. For serum creatinine concentration, 18 out of 23 dogs saw it returning to normal within around 30 days, but five dogs still had high levels.

Additionally, the study found that in most cases, serum calcium, serum phosphorus, and Ca 3 P concentrations returned to normal within a few days to a couple of weeks among the observed dogs that recovered.


The connection between grapes, raisins, and a dog’s health continues to puzzle veterinary experts. Despite being harmless to humans, these fruits can cause serious health issues in dogs, particularly acute kidney failure.

The big question remains: can dogs eat grapes? Veterinarians unanimously advise against it, giving a resounding “No!” 

It’s really important for you as a dog owner to keep grapes out of reach from them just to be extra cautious.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The internet’s most dog-friendly website. Sidewalk Dog is your go-to resource for all things dog. Trusted by more than 250,000 dog people around the world.

Join the Pack