Editor’s Note: H*ckin’ COVID has given us a new normal. Give your campground a call to confirm their most pup-to-date details and dog-friendly guidelines!
We all want to bring our pup with us everywhere, and sadly that just isn’t pawsible. Luckily, most Colorado state parks allow doggos, so you can spend the whole weekend together! Read on for a guide to the 5 best state parks for camping with dogs in Colorado.
Mueller State Park is the place to be if you’re looking to relax with your pup. Pets aren’t allowed on trails or in backcountry areas of this park, so stop by to spend a couple of days bonding with Fido by the fire.
Highline Lake State Park welcomes you and your dog for camping trips. Plus, they have a designated swimming area just for your pup, pawsome!
Ridgway State Park is ideal for water dogs. Although pups aren’t allowed on the beach, you can bring her along for a paddleboard on the lake or on your morning fishing trip.
Rifle Gap State Park has year-round camping so you and your pupper can enjoy the great outdoors, even in the dead of winter. Pup, yeah!
Tips n’ Tricks for Camping With Dogs in Colorado
- Colorado State Parks don’t allow dogs on public beaches, so make sure you have other activities planned!
- Give your pup a job! Try out a dog backpack so your pup can help take the load off and carry some water.
- Keep track of your pup with a 6-foot leash at all times.
Keeping Everyone Happy:
- Keep dogs leashed so that they don’t mingle with other critters.
- Clean up after your dog and pack it out.
- Don’t leave dogs unattended in vehicles or tied up at the campsite. This can be very disruptive, mostly because other campers become concerned about pets left alone.
Where’s your pal’s fave place to get away from it all? Woof at us in the comments and be sure to tag #SidewalkDog in all your adventures! And don’t furget to enter to win a $1,200 Dog-Friendly RV Vacation!
(Photo by Patrick Hendry)
Sidewalk Dog’s mission is to help dog parents spend more time with their puppers by discovering and sharing activities they can do and places they can go—together! Sniff out our award-winning newsletter and Instagram, and join our Dog-Friendly Denver Facebook Group.
More reads you’ll ruv: