Are Poinsettias Poisonous for Dogs?

dog with poinsettia

The tree is glowing with twinkling lights, stockings are hung from the chimney, and a beautiful bright poinsettia plant sits adjacent to the fireplace. But does this popular holiday plant pose a risk to puppers? As pet parents, we want to make sure our homes are a safe haven for our canine companions. This is especially true during the holiday season when new objects, smells, and potential hazards are introduced. So, as you deck the halls, let’s look at which holiday plants are potentially risky for our furry friends.

The Truth About Poinsettias and Dogs

The poinsettia, also known as Euphorbia pulcherrima, is native to Mexico and Central America. It is often associated with the holiday season because of its vibrant red and green foliage, which is actually not its flowers but leaves. The tiny yellow structures in the center of the plant are the actual blooms.

One of the main concerns about poinsettias is the milky white sap found in their leaves and stems. This sap contains compounds called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents, which can cause irritation if ingested or comes into contact with the skin.

According to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), poinsettias are not deadly for dogs. However, they are classified as mildly toxic. If your dog chews or ingests the plant, it can lead to irritation in the mouth and stomach and may cause vomiting or diarrhea.

It’s also worth noting that the size of your dog and the amount of the plant they eat can impact how they react. A small dog that eats a large amount of the plant will likely have a stronger reaction than a large dog that only nibbles a leaf.

However, while it’s not highly toxic, it’s still best to keep poinsettias out of your dog’s reach. After all, we want to prevent any discomfort or upset stomachs, especially during the holiday season.

What to Do if Your Dog Ingests a Poinsettia

If you notice that your dog has ingested part of a poinsettia, don’t panic. Keep an eye out for signs of discomfort like excessive drooling, pawing at the mouth, or any changes in behavior. Mild reactions should subside on their own without any need for treatment.

If your dog appears to be in distress or the symptoms persist, it’s a good idea to call your vet or a pet poison helpline. Make sure to provide them with as much information as possible, such as the size of your dog and the amount of the plant they ate.

While poinsettias aren’t typically life-threatening, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If your vet suggests bringing your dog in, follow their advice.

Other Common Holiday Plants to be Cautious of


Mistletoe, a traditional Christmas plant often hung in doorways to encourage holiday kisses, may pose a threat to our canine buddies. While it’s a symbol of love and goodwill to humans, it’s quite the opposite for our dogs. Ingestion of mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset, breathing problems, a drop in blood pressure and, in severe cases, hallucinations or seizures.

If your dog consumes mistletoe, symptoms may include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. More severe symptoms such as changes in behavior, difficulty breathing, or collapse require immediate veterinary attention.

With mistletoe, the best approach is prevention. Hang it well out of your dog’s reach, or better yet, opt for pet-safe artificial mistletoe.


Lilies are beautiful, fragrant flowers that often adorn our homes during the holiday season. While they may be pleasing to our eyes and noses, they can be deadly to our four-legged friends. Every part of the lily plant is considered toxic to dogs and can lead to kidney failure if ingested.

Signs of lily poisoning may include vomiting, loss of appetite, increased urination followed by a decrease in urination after one to two days, and depression. If you suspect your dog has ingested any part of a lily, it is crucial to get them to a vet immediately. Early treatment can lead to a better prognosis.

As pet owners, it’s best to avoid having lilies in the house altogether. There are plenty of pet-safe plants that can bring color and life to your home without posing a risk to your furry friend.

Christmas Roses

Christmas roses, also known as hellebores, are popular holiday plants known for their beautiful, rose-like flowers. While they may look harmless, they can cause harm if ingested by our canine companions.

If a dog eats a Christmas rose, they may experience drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. In severe cases, ingestion can cause depression, tremors, and seizures. If you suspect your dog has ingested a Christmas rose, it’s important to seek veterinary care immediately.

The safest approach is to keep Christmas roses out of your home if you have pets, or ensure they are placed in a spot that your dog cannot access.


Holly, with its glossy green leaves and vibrant red berries, is a classic symbol of the holiday season. However, it’s another plant that can pose a risk to our furry friends. Both the leaves and the berries of the holly plant can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs if ingested.

Signs that your dog may have eaten holly include drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea. In rare cases, holly can also cause central nervous system depression.

Keep holly decorations well out of reach of your pets, or consider using artificial holly. It’s just as festive and much safer for your dog.

Prevention is Better than Treatment

As pet owners, we should always prioritize prevention. While it’s good to know what to do if your dog ingests a poinsettia or other holiday plant, it’s even better to ensure they never have the opportunity to do so. Always place plants out of your dog’s reach or opt for artificial ones instead. There are also many pet-safe plants that you can choose to brighten up your home during the holidays.

So as we trim our homes with festive cheer, let’s ensure our pets enjoy the holiday season as much as we do by creating a safe and pet-friendly environment. Remember, if you suspect your dog has ingested any of these plants, seek veterinary care immediately.

Here’s to a safe, joyous, and dog-friendly holiday season!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The internet’s most dog-friendly website. Sidewalk Dog is your go-to resource for all things dog. Trusted by more than 250,000 dog people around the world.

Join the Pack