Editor’s Note: H*ckin’ COVID has given us a new normal. Give your campground a call to confirm their most pup-to-date details and dog-friendly guidelines!
We might only be partway through the year, but Chicago winter is already on the horizon (nooo!). Illinois is full of parks to sniff, pats to receive, and new sights to ruv. Check out some of these dog-friendly state parks and get a weekend away with your pup before summer winds down.
State Parks & Campgrounds
- Starved Rock State Park has 13 miles of hiking trails to explore Illinois’ bluffs and canyons.
- Camp Dogwood is a grreat glamping option for a fancy pup. At only a couple hours north, this “campground” is the perfect weekend getaway.
- Kickapoo State Recreation Area offers tent and trailer camping, 35 miles of hiking trails, and gorgeous sites of the Vermillion River.
- If you like ruffin’ it, Beall Woods is the state park for you. This park has about 5 miles of easy-moderate hiking trails and restrooms, but no electricity or showers. Campsites are first-come, first-serve.
- Mississippi Palisades is one of the most popular campgrounds in Illinois. Featuring 15 miles of trails overlooking sprawling bluffs, your pup will beg you to sit and stay at the park.
Tips n’ Tricks
- Check out some of Illinois’ lesser-known parks for a more relaxed and less social camping experience.
- Always give your pup a good pet to check for ticks and make sure she’s up to date on her Lyme vaccination as an extra precaution.
- Don’t let your doggo get lonely and make sure not to leave him unattended at your campsite… and keep ‘em on a 6-foot leash while you’re at it!
Keeping Everyone Happy:
- Keep dogs leashed so that they don’t mingle with other critters.
- Clean up after your dog and pack it out.
- Don’t leave dogs unattended in vehicles or tied up at the campsite. This can be very disruptive, mostly because other campers become concerned about pets left alone.
Where’s your pal’s fave place to get away from it all? Woof at us in the comments and be sure to tag #SidewalkDog in all your adventures! And don’t furget to enter to win a $1,200 Dog-Friendly RV Vacation!
(Photo by Christoph Wesi)
Sidewalk Dog’s mission is to help dog parents spend more time with their puppers by discovering and sharing activities they can do and places they can go—together! Sniff out our award-winning newsletter and Instagram, and join our dog-obsessed Facebook group.
More reads you’ll ruv: